BROWN THRASHER

 

When I am in my yard I never know what type of bird may come - whether it will be an old friend that comes every day or a visitor just passing through on the migration trail.  If it’s a photography day, I begin to pray for God to send birds that I have never seen in order for my “bird passion” to stay alive.  And on some days God does exactly that - He calls in birds that I have never seen and I get all charged up again.  But, some days He tells me to be content with what He gives me.  I have found that’s the good life….being content with what He gives us.  In that contentment I have often received a fresh look at a bird I have seen many times but there is so much more for me to learn.

 

This week that bird is the Brown Thrasher. This is the time of year that a Brown Thrasher really enjoys because the leaves are falling and everyone’s yard will be covered with leaves.  Just like his name says the Thrasher likes to noisily “thrash” through leaves, small rocks and branches and find some juicy bugs to eat. The Thrasher belongs to a group called Mimids.  Mimids are birds that “mimic” other birds and sounds that they hear outdoors.  Some other birds from this group in the U.S. are Mockingbirds and Catbirds.

 

According to Whatbird.com – “Brown Thrashers have the largest repertoire of songs of all the North American birds and are able to vocalize 3000 distinct songs.” I was amazed to read this about the Brown Thrasher because I don’t think I have ever heard them singing in my yard, but after reading the number of their songs I had to listen to what they sound like on my Audubon app.  I immediately recognized one of the sounds that they listed.  It is called “Smack” calls.  It sounds just like we do when we smack our lips when we reach out to kiss someone and I realized that I have heard this call in my yard. 

 

The Brown Thrasher has several exaggerated features that stick out in its appearance.  One feature is that it has bright yellow eyes that have a slightly bizarre staring effect to them.  He has a long curved bill that gives him a beak that you would think belonged a woodpecker. Unlike the woodpecker he doesn’t use the bill to peck on wood to find bugs, but uses it to poke into the soil and dig out insects under leaf litter.  But, even though he enjoys bugs, he can also be found at feeders enjoying seeds, berries and nuts.  Another large feature is his very long tail.  Thrashers are fairly large birds about 11” long and his tail is a big portion of his size.  They are a brownish, rust color on their heads, bodies, and tails with black tear-shaped marks on an off-white breast and belly.  All of these things make them an unusual looking bird, but really quite beautiful. 

 

Like the Mockingbird, the Brown Thrasher is known for aggressively defending their nest if someone gets too near.  They will attack people and animals forcefully and even draw blood, if they sense impending danger for their eggs. 

 

I would not have thought about this bird being voted as a State Bird, but it is state bird of Georgia. They prefer warmer weather, but the Brown Thrasher can be found all the way up to southeastern Canada during their summer months. They live in thickets and at the edge of forests, but since Senatobia is a City of Trees that’s one reason we find them right in the middle of our city.   According to allaboutbirds.org the oldest Brown Thrasher on record was at least 12 years, 10 months old, and was found in North Carolina. 

 

Even though this bird is not a new bird to my yard, I am content that I have learned a lot about this bird and it’s relatives as I continue to “Look at the birds of the air…” Matthew 6:26.  My photos may be viewed & “LIKED” on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest - “Birdie of Mississippi”. E-mail: birdieofmississippi@gmail.com - Read my Blog @ http://www.birdieofmississippi.blogspot.com

 

Comments

  1. Wow! You packed a lot of info in this blog. I love learning about birds and your writing is so clear. I can picture the brown thrasher protecting its nest or thrashing around in the leaves looking for bugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you Dianne. Glad that you enjoyed it. I'm glad that you were able to visualize the Thrasher's actions from what I wrote. :) That's my goal. Thanks for reading! Love you, Peggy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

GETTING STARTED WITH BIRDIE OF MISSISSIPPI

WHAT WE COULD BE MISSING