THE BIRDS AT NOTRE DAME


Yesterday was a cool rainy day, so I pulled up my recorded NOVA episode called “Saving Notre
Dame.” On April 15, 2019 a fire broke out at 6:18 pm that nearly burned down the 850 year old cathedral.
  As I have revealed before, I am sort of a science geek. I loved this episode not only because I am interested in finding out more about the fire, but because this NOVA episode shows that there is a lot of science involved in resolving the many issues that have stemmed from the fire.  The damage is so bad that it is taking a large team of researchers to figure out how to salvage as much of the original Notre Dame as possible and to restore the cathedral to its former glory.   

 

The fire began in the attic and quickly spread to the roof because the dry timbers under the roof burned so quickly.  As the lead roof and spire burned they sent out toxic lead into the air and coated the whole cathedral and its stain glass windows.  The researchers had to determine a way to remove the lead aerosols without damaging the stain glass and how best to protect themselves from toxic lead as they clean the cathedral.

 

The whole structure had so many problems that if one part of the frame begins to fall then it would be like a house of cards and it would all tumble down.  So, the architects have made temporary wood bracing to help hold the structure together until more of the many parts can be designed and put together by artisans that can do the crafting together of stonework and wooden beams.

 

As I thought about the fire the thought came to my mind – “What about the birds of Notre Dame?” So, I Googled this question and was surprised to find an article on qz.com that was about the birds of Notre Dame!  The caption was – “Why does it look like birds were circling the flames of Notre Dame?” and there was a photograph of three birds flying high above the smoke and flames.  The article says that at first people thought the birds were ravens which seemed to fit with the medieval images of the fire at Notre Dame. 

 

Since it was such an ominous “end of the world look” of birds, flames and smoke the author contacted the Cornell Lab of Ornithology to ask about the birds.  Cornell quickly let them know that there are no ravens in Paris - “Rooks and Carrion Crows, but no ravens.” But they did suggest some reasons for the birds flying above the fire scene.  Sometimes birds are attracted to fires “to forage on 2 classes of prey: (1) stray organisms that are escaping the blazes and (2) insects that are attracted to the smoke because of their… dependency on dying or recently dead wood.” So the birds might have been looking for small animals and insects fleeing the flames.

 

Since the article didn’t say what type of bird was actually in their photo, I screenshot the photo and I zoomed in on the birds to see if I could identify them. I didn’t recognize the bird shape, so I loaded the zoomed photo into my Cornell Lab Bird Photo ID app.   Even though the photo was fuzzy the app identified the bird to be a Peregrine Falcon!  As I followed my little trail of clues, I once again used Google to find out if there were Peregrine Falcons in Paris.  Yes, according to Brut.media Peregrine Falcons had disappeared in 1947, but have now returned to Paris.  I’m excited that I was able to identify the birds that flew over the flames of Notre Dame. The Peregrine Falcon witnessed that awful fire and I can’t help but love all that I have learned as I once again “Look at the birds of the air…” Matthew 6:26.

My photos may be viewed & “LIKED” on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest - “Birdie of Mississippi”.

            E-mail: birdieofmississippi@gmail.com - Read my Blog @ http://www.birdieofmississippi.blogspot.com

 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

GETTING STARTED WITH BIRDIE OF MISSISSIPPI

BROWN THRASHER

WHAT WE COULD BE MISSING