PB & J


PB & J

By Peggy Williams



            One day last week I filled little bowls for the birds to enjoy.  Two bowls were crunchy peanut butter and two bowls were grape jelly!  There are a number of birds that enjoy peanut butter – woodpeckers, wrens, chickadees…and those that love grape jelly – Baltimore orioles, tanagers and even hummingbirds!  So, I was excited to see what might come one spring morning.  The table that I put the bowls on is right outside a picture window in my kitchen that looks out over my backyard!  I sit in my “Mimi” rocking chair having my morning coffee and watch as the birds come to eat their breakfast.

            As I watched on Sunday morning I noticed a squirrel putting his front paws in a little bowl of water and lick his paws - then repeat over and over.  I laughed and thought how funny he looked!  Then I looked at the table with the PB & J and there was another squirrel reaching into the peanut butter with his paws and putting it to his mouth!  His jaws were crunching on the crunchy peanut butter!  And I could tell that he was less than thrilled that his paws were now sticky! So that was what the other squirrel was doing!  He was trying to get the sticky peanut butter off his paws! Do squirrels use silverware?  Perhaps I should put a miniature set out to see! Lol

            The rain has stopped and as I look out my window, I see that all the peanut butter and jelly are gone!  Due to the two days and nights of rain I didn’t get to see who ate it all up!  We are supposed to have a few sunny days so perhaps when I restock I will get an opportunity to watch and see if any fabulous birds come to dinner or if I am just fattening up my squirrels! Will be posting pictures of my guests soon! 

My photos may be viewed on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest - “Birdie of Mississippi”.

Read my Blog @ http://www.birdieofmississippi.blogspot.com


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GETTING STARTED WITH BIRDIE OF MISSISSIPPI

WHAT WE COULD BE MISSING

THE BIRDS AT NOTRE DAME