AS LOVELY AS A TREE


AS LOVELY AS A TREE

By Peggy Williams AKA Birdie of Mississippi



As I look out my kitchen window it is teaming with birds and I think of what Jesus instructed us all to do “Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow or reap nor store up in barns, yet your Heavenly Father feeds them.” Matthew 6:26.  As I have tried to live out this Scripture, I have become involved with all sorts of birds, bees, squirrels, chipmunks, and now He has lead me to study trees.  Trees are the habitats for most of these creatures and we all use trees for a variety of things.


My yard is filled with trees in a neighborhood filled with trees in a town filled with trees.  It sounds like a line from a Dr. Seuss book, but it is the way things are in Senatobia – “Tree City USA.”  In order to have the environment that we have, trees are a necessity and a pleasure given to us by God for all – birds, insects, animals and humans.  Trees provide oxygen, shade, food and homes for us.

A Tree Explorer’s Guide printed by The Sycamore Arboretum of Senatobia can be found at the Tate Record newspaper office and also at the Tate County Economic Development Foundation on Main Street.  Bud Donahou – NWCC-Dendrologist wrote – “This book is intended for your enjoyment and recreational use as a guide to many of the trees found within the City of Senatobia.”  I have personally found enjoyment in using the guide to have a few stolen moments of recreation as I track down the trees listed.  I didn’t know that Senatobia had such a variety of trees - 90 trees are mapped out and tagged with a dog tag-type number and a colored information plaque.  I haven’t tackled the guide as an assignment, but as a leisurely Sunday afternoon or early morning treasure hunt.  The trees are scattered over the whole city and are divided into 4 treasure maps to find all 90 trees.  A page is devoted to each tree giving the name, a description and interesting facts about the tree.  I know this book has been around for several years but it’s still relevant for today as a means to really appreciate trees as a God given gift to our community.


There are also “Landmark Trees” in our community.  These trees have been designated with special recognition because of their beauty, social purpose, ecological, and historic value that they have to Senatobia.  So far, Senatobia has chosen three trees as Landmark Trees - the huge Magnolia at the corner of South Ward and Gilmore and two trees located at First Baptist Church on South Ward Street - a Yoshino Cherry and a Ginkgo Biloba. 


Joyce Kilmer (1886-1918) wrote a poem about trees and is included in the Sycamore Arboretum Guide.  I have read the poem before, but it was before my love of birds and trees really began, so it didn’t stir in me what it now does. “I think that I shall never see a poem lovely as a tree.  A tree whose hungry mouth is pressed against the earth’s sweet flowing breast; a tree that looks at God all day, and lifts her leafy arms to pray; a tree that may in summer wear a nest of robins in her hair; upon whose bosom snow has lain; who intimately lives with rain.  Poems are made by fools like me, but only God can make a tree.”

My photos may be viewed & “LIKED” on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest - “Birdie of Mississippi”.

E-mail: birdieofmississippi@gmail.com

Read my Blog @ http://www.birdieofmississippi.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GETTING STARTED WITH BIRDIE OF MISSISSIPPI

WHAT WE COULD BE MISSING

THE BIRDS AT NOTRE DAME