HIS EYE IS ON THE SPARROW


HIS EYE IS ON THE SPARROW

By Peggy Williams AKA Birdie of Mississippi



Since I am not a professional in the study of birds, I do not know all the scientific facts about birds.  Recently I found out how really angry “true” bird professionals could become when I shared one of my photos of a sparrow on a Facebook site that is mostly made up of bird scientists.  I was amazed at how tiny sparrows could stir up the dandruff of the bird community. After a few mean sparrow comments were made the site administrator stepped in and told them to knock it off that sparrows were needed in our eco-system!  I laugh now at my ignorance of how such a tiny bird could get their blood boiling, but I still love little sparrows.  When I photograph birds in my backyard I often see leaves jumping around on the ground and as I zoom in on the movement I see tiny camouflaged sparrows hidden in the midst of the leaves searching for bugs!



The Bible references the sparrow 40 times in the Old Testament and 2 times in the New Testament.  Jesus spoke of the sparrow to remind us that if God cares about the little common sparrow, how much more does He care about us!  “Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? And not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father.  But even the hairs of your head are all numbered.  Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows.” Matthew 10:29-31.  This is a very comforting Scripture that we are given by God who manages all of creation yet takes notice of both the lives of these tiny birds and our lives. 



His Eye Is On The Sparrow is one of my favorite spiritual songs.  During the holiday season many people are not merry and bright, in fact, they feel afraid, discouraged and lonely, but we must all remember that God cares and notices us all – not one individual’s heart cry goes unnoticed by God.



Just as each human being is necessary and has a purpose for their life, the little sparrow is necessary and has a purpose.  The sparrow plays a large role in insect control – yes, they have almost a total diet of insects!  If we think that we have an insect problem now, what if there were no sparrows?  One of the main insects that House Sparrows feed to their baby birds is mosquitoes! 



Unfortunately, there has been a rapid disappearance in sparrows as it has been with all birds due to insecticides, pesticides, lost of habitat, free roaming cats, and avian malaria.  According to Forbes.com – “The house sparrow, Passer domesticus are alien invasive species that were either reviled or overlooked by most serious birders.  To be fair, house sparrows are invasive in many places, but people intentionally introduced these birds to these new places and the sparrows simply did the same thing that people did under the same circumstances: they multiplied – dramatically.”  But now the sparrow populations are declining and this once very populated bird is now considered endangered.    So remember during this Christmas season, that the good news is that God cares for these tiny birds and He cares for us.  Just “Look at the birds of the air….” (Matthew 6:26) and you will see that He has plans for tiny sparrows and plans for you & for me.  
          My photos may be viewed & “LIKED” on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest - “Birdie of Mississippi”.

E-mail: birdieofmississippi@gmail.com - Read my Blog @ http://www.birdieofmississippi.blogspot.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GETTING STARTED WITH BIRDIE OF MISSISSIPPI

WHAT WE COULD BE MISSING

THE BIRDS AT NOTRE DAME