BECOMING BIRDIE - 10/18/19


 

BECOMING BIRDIE

By Peggy Williams AKA Birdie of Mississippi

 

I became “Birdie” as a result of many things.  When I retired I wasn’t ready to give up on life, but wanted to truly fulfill my life.  Years ago when I became a Christian I began to actively seek out what God wanted me to do each day and to live my life in accordance with the Scriptures as best I could.  One Scripture that has always spoken to me is “Teach us to number our days that we may have a heart of wisdom.” Psalm 90:12. In order to live wisely we must realize that God has given each of us a certain number of days and we are to make each day count.  A day counts if we freely share what Jesus has given us. “Freely you have received, freely give.” Matthew 10:8. God has given every person at least one talent and if we search out that talent and use it, then God gives us more talents.  But we must first use the talent that God has given us. 

 

In the Bible, Solomon says that “A person can do nothing better than to eat and drink and find satisfaction in their own work.” Ecclesiastes 2:24. I have been blessed that I have always enjoyed my work and now that I am retired I still want to find enjoyment and feel fulfilled by my labors.   So I have asked in prayer for God to show me how I could best use all my talents and gifts for Him and enjoy doing it.  A person that doesn’t enjoy their work can’t really put their whole heart into it and life is too short to not find enjoyment in it. 

 

So when I retired my first step was to take inventory of my talents and my possessions.  If Moses could lead a nation out of Egypt with just a stick in his hands then I could use my Canon 70D to begin a life adventure using what I possessed and take a leap of faith to see where God would lead me. 

 

One morning during my Bible study and prayer time, I read – Jesus said, “Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them.” Matthew 6:26.  And that afternoon I wrapped up in my husband’s hunting jacket and began to “Look at the birds of the air…” and I took photographs all afternoon! 

 

“Do not despise the day of small beginnings, for the LORD rejoices to see the work begin...” Zechariah 4:10.  Little by little a path has opened up for “Birdie of Mississippi”.  A small business has developed based on birds that I photographed in my own yard.  Every skill that I have developed has been by trial and error and learning from my mistakes.  Being a Baby Boomer I didn’t grow up with technology, so I am proud to say that I have developed business pages for “Birdie of Mississippi” on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest.  I have a Birdie Blog and though it’s not up and running yet there is also a website in the works.  I have shared my photographs and experiences as an invited speaker for social clubs and church groups and have also produced a variety of “Birdie of Mississippi” gift items such as Birdie cards, calendars, t-shirts, cups, and canvas art.

 

As I “look at the birds” I have learned a lot about birds, but there have been an equal amount of questions that have arisen that has required research.  I began to write down what I learned and I wanted to share what I was learning with others, so God opened a door for me to write a weekly column for the Senatobia - Tate Record newspaper.  “Birdie of Mississippi” plans to have a devotional book printed in the spring of 2020.  Oswald Chambers says – “Trust God and take the next step.” All the things that I have learned over the past year and a half has helped me to develop patience and a trust in God that keeps me excited and expectant about where God is leading.  Like Abraham who set out to the Promised Land, I don’t know where “Birdie” is being lead, but I know the One who’s leading.

My photos may be viewed & “LIKED” on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest - “Birdie of Mississippi”.

E-mail: birdieofmississippi@gmail.com

Read my Blog @ http://www.birdieofmississippi.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

GETTING STARTED WITH BIRDIE OF MISSISSIPPI

WHAT WE COULD BE MISSING

THE BIRDS AT NOTRE DAME